Advertisement

A Case Report on Coexisting JAK2 V617F and Calr exon 9 Mutation in Essential Thrombocythemia

Munazza Rashid, Rifat Zubair Ahmed, Shariq Ahmed, Muhammad Nadeem, Nuzhat Ahmed and Tahir Shamsi

Abstract

Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (MPNs) are a heterogeneous group of clonal disorders derived from multipotent hematopoietic myeloid progenitors. Classic "BCR-ABL1-negative" MPNs is an operational sub-category of MPNs that includes polycythemia vera (PV), essential thrombocythemia (ET), and primary myelofibrosis (PMF). These three disorders are characterized by stem cell-derived clonal myeloproliferation. The most common mutation in the MPNs PV, ET and PMF is JAK2 V617F.

JAK2 V617F can be detected in about 95% of patients with PV while remaining 5% of PV patients carry a somatic mutation of JAK2 exon 12. Approximately one third of patients with ET or PMF do not carryany mutation in JAK2 or MPL. In December 2013 mutations were described in calreticulin (CALR) gene in 67-71% and 56-88% of JAK2 V617F and MPL negative patients with ET and PMF, respectively. Since this discovery, CALR mutations have not only been recommended to be included in the diagnostic algorithm for MPNs, but also CALR exon 9 mutations have been recognised to have clinical utility as mutated patients have a better outcome than JAK2 V617F positive patients.CALR mutations have also been reported to be mutually exclusive with JAK2 V617F or MPL mutations. According to our knowledge so farthere have been only six reports published,which described patients harbouring concurrent JAK2 V617F and CALR exon 9 mutations; seven ET, three PMF, one PV and one MPN-U.

In the present study we are reporting ET patient with coexisting JAK2 V617F and CALR exon 9 mutations from our center. In July 2011, 55-years-old female patient was referred to our hospital with a history of gradual elevation of platelet counts accompanied with pain in right hypochondriac region and feet. Bone Marrow aspirate consisted of 'Stag-horn' appearance Megakarocytes. Multiple platelets aggregates and islands were seen throughout the aspirate smear. ARMS-PCR for JAK2 V617F mutation was positive whereas bidirectional Sanger sequencing for CALR exon 9 exhibited c.1214_1225del12 (p.E405_D408del) mutation pattern.

Disclosures No relevant conflicts of interest to declare.

  • * Asterisk with author names denotes non-ASH members.